Water Supply WARNING Declaration September 2, 2023
On August 30, 2023 the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality issued a Drought Warning Advisory Declaration for Clarke, Augusta, Rockingham, Shenandoah, Frederick, Page, and Warren Counties.
Therefore, in accordance with §17-25 of the Berryville Code, a Water Supply WARNING is hereby declared.
Under a WARNING Declaration, the following mandatory water use restrictions become effective:
Mandatory water restrictions
- Residents/businesses may water lawns and/or landscaping only on even or odd days on the basis of their addresses. If the address is an even number, water on even-numbered days; if the address is an odd number, water on odd-numbered days.
- Where possible, non-vegetative erosion and sedimentation control methods (as identified is the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation Erosion and Sediment Control Technical Bulletin Number 3) shall be employed. Drought bonds will be required by the Community Development Director.
- Car-washing or outside washing is prohibited. Commercial car washes utilizing Town water may operate only if they demonstrate that at least fifty percent of the water used is recycled during the car washing process. Car washes utilizing well water may operate as usual, but shall post signs at the business indicating the use of that source.
- That shall be no washing of streets, driveways, parking lots, service station aprons, office buildings, exteriors of homes or apartments, or other outdoor surfaces.
- There shall be no operation of outdoor fountains or other structures making a similar use of water.
- There shall be no filling of swimming and/or wading pools.
- There shall be no use of water from fire hydrants for any purpose other than fire suppression or other public emergency.
Under a WARNING Declaration, the following voluntary measures are sought:
Voluntary water conservation
- Residents/businesses are asked to review their water usage and be aware of and limit high water use.
This declaration will become effective at 12:00 a.m. September 2, 2023 and will remain in effect until it is rescinded.