Refuse Collection for Residents
Refuse Collection Schedule
Weekly residential curbside trash and recyclable collection occurs on the following schedule:
- East of Buckmarsh Street (Route 340): Thursday
- West of Buckmarsh Street (Route 340): Friday
Refuse Collection Company
Republic Services of Winchester has been chosen by the Town of Berryville to collect trash in Berryville. Republic Services will utilize an automated curbside refuse collection system and a standard curbside collection system for recyclable.
Clarke County Convenience Center
The Clarke County Convenience Center operates through a shared agreement with the Frederick County (VA) Landfill & Solid Water system. The Convenience Center is located at 90 Quarry Road (Rt. 612) in the northeastern part of the county. The facility is for Berryville/Clarke County residents only. The center accepts bagged household trash and specific recycling. For more information, visit https://www.clarkecounty.gov/residents/trash-recycling or call Clarke County at 540-955-5100.
Frederick County Landfill
Berryville residents can enjoy full use of the Frederick County Landfill located on Sulphur Springs Road. Information about the landfill can be obtained by calling (540) 665-5658 or logging on to their website.
- Trash Collection
- Brush & Leaf Collection
- Hazardous Waste & Electronic
- Bulk and Appliance Collection
Automated curbside collection was chosen to provide clean, safe and efficient collection service. Republic Services provides each residence with a 95-gallon service cart for automated solid waste collection service.
Additional refuse containers can be requested for an additional monthly fee.
Refuse and Recycling Container Important Notice 01.01.2021
Additional Toter Request - Single-Family Residential
Additional Toter Request - Multi-Family Residential
Additional Toter Request - Commercial
Additional Toter Request - Restaurant
Please follow these guidelines in order to obtain the best trash collection service:
- Waste must be contained in the service container. Do not leave waste in bags outside of your service container.
- Do not place trash in your own privately purchased trashcans. Only the service containers provided to you by Republic Services are of the design and durability for your type of trash service.
- The truck servicing Berryville has a maximum reach of 9 feet. Your container should be placed 3-feet from the nearest obstacle (i.e. trees, cars, mailboxes and utility poles).
- Your container should be placed with the front of the container facing the street.
- Your container is labeled with your address; there is no need to place additional labeling on your container.
- Bulk pickup of furniture and other large household goods must be scheduled through the Town Office at (540) 955-1099 for coordination with Republic Services. Appliance collection must also be scheduled through the Town Office and will incur a fee.
Single-family detached and attached residential dwellings, commercial users, and institution users will be issued two 18-gallon bins, or one 64/65 -gallon toter, or one 95-96-gallon toter, as a part of the Town's basic service. No additional recycling containers will be issued.
Mixed Paper Recycling
The following materials can be recycled:
- Office paper
- Inside the recycling container on top of other recycling
- Paper may be bundled or placed in a paper bag.
- Cardboard must be broken down in pieces no larger than 3 foot square and bundled securely with string.
- Material is contaminated (waxed paper, food wrappers)
- Paper is in plastic bags (shredded paper may be in a clear plastic bag)
- Cardboard is not broken down to proper size
Mixed Aluminum / Plastic Recycling
- The following materials can be recycled:
- Aluminum cans (food and beverage)
- Plastic food and beverage bottles including clear and colored plastic
- Bimetal food cans
- Cans must be empty prior to placing them for collection.
- Aluminum cans should be crushed.
- Please separate this material from the paper.
- Glass of any type
- Pesticide or chemical containers
- Oil cans or plastic oil containers
- Medical waste containers (i.e., bags, syringes, hoses)
- Aluminum furniture or siding
- Plastic bags
- Light bulbs
- Products are in opaque plastic bags
- Contains improper items or contents
- Materials not empty or clean
- Trash is in the recycle bin
Yard Waste (Brush & Leaf) Collection
Yard Waste Collection
The Town collects yard waste each Monday, weather permitting. Loose yard waste must be contained in paper yard waste bags and may not exceed fifty pounds in weight. Brush must be tied into compact bundles that can be handled by one collector. No such bundle shall exceed four (4) feet in length, twelve (12) inches in diameter and fifty (50) pounds in weight. No single collection may exceed one hundred pounds of waste. Do not block sidewalks or storm drains. Neither the Town nor its contractors will collect grass clippings or ashes. Yard waste must be placed out for collection no earlier than the Saturday prior to the collection day and no later than 7:00 a.m. on collection day.
Fall Leaf Collection
Public Works uses a vacuum leaf collection machine each fall to pick up leaves. Leaves that have been raked to the curb or property line will be collected. Each neighborhood will receive a minimum of three collections during this time period.
The schedule for Fall leaf collection will be published on the home page each year under News Flash. You do not need to call the Town Office to schedule this service. We encourage you to take advantage of this service.
Please take note of the following:
- Leaves must be raked to the curb by 7:00 a.m. on the Monday of your scheduled collection.
- Leaves should be raked into a pile at the curb. If no curb exists, leaves may be piled at the property line facing the street.
- Do not pile leaves in or near storm drains or water meter covers.
- Remove stones, litter, branches and other debris from the pile because these may damage the leaf vacuum.
- Please do not park on the street in front of the collected leaves from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. during your collection week until collection is finished.
If you wish, you can also bag your leaves in paper yard waste bags and place out for yard waste collection each Monday no earlier than the Saturday prior to the collection day and no later than 7:00 a.m. on collection day. Burning of leaves is not permitted unless a burn permit is obtained from the Berryville Police Department.
Household Hazardous Waste, Special Waste and Electronics Disposal
Household Hazardous Waste must be disposed of at the Frederick County Landfill. See link below:
Special Waste (Tires, Oil, Antifreeze)
Special Waster must be disposed of at the Frederick County Landfill. See link below:
Electronics disposal/recycling is offered at the Frederick County Landfill. See link below:
Bulk and Appliance Collection
Bulk item and appliance collection service, which is provided each Wednesday, must be scheduled in advance with the Town Business Office. With regard to appliance collection, the following fees apply: $25.00 for appliances such as stoves, washers, dryers, or water heaters and $40.00 for items such as refrigerators, air conditioners, televisions, and computer screens. Prior to appliance collection an appliance collection sticker must be purchase from the Town Business Office and affixed to the appliance to be collected. All hazardous waste (e.g. paints, pesticides, anti-freeze, used oil, tires, and the like) must be disposed of in a certified waste acceptance facility. Most of these materials can be disposed of at the Frederick County Landfill. The Frederick County Landfill can be reached at 540-665-5658 or through www.fcva.us.